This year's Decanter World Wine Awards Regional Trophy for Argentinian Malbec over £15 went to Toneles, Gran Tonel 137, Mendoza 2010 (14.5%)
- Alpasión, Malbec, Uco Valley, Mendoza 2012
- Altos LasHormigas, Malbec, Altamira, Mendoza 2011
- Altos Las Hormigas,Malbec, Vista Flores, Mendoza 2011
- Andean Vineyards, CondorAndino Reserve Malbec, Mendoza 2013
- Chakana, Estate SelectionMalbec, Uco Valley, Mendoza 2013
- El Esteco,Malbec, Salta 2012 • El Esteco, Serie Fincas NotablesMalbec, Salta 2012
- La Chamiza, Martín Alsina, Lujánde Cuyo, Mendoza 2011
- Matias Riccitelli, Repúblicadel Malbec, Luján de Cuyo, Mendoza 2012
- Pampasdel Sur, Estilo Malbec, Mendoza 2012
- Terrazas delos Andes, Single Vineyard Malbec, Las Compuertas,Mendoza 2010
- Trivento, Reserve Malbec, Mendoza2013
- Zorzal, Eggo, Tupungato, Mendoza 2012
Located within the city of Mendoza, Toneles’ winery was built in 1922. It was bought by its current owners, the Millan family, in 2001 and fully restored, celebrating its first vintage in 2003.
The handpicked fruit for this Trophy comes from Gualtallary in Uco Valley. The vines are planted at 1,400m and enjoy a long maturation cycle, and it is this, combined with the poor soil and cooler daytime temperatures, that result in elegant wines with high natural acidity. Once harvested, the grapes are fermented using selected yeasts and then spend 18 months in French oak before being bottled. There were just 4,000 bottlesmade of the 2010 vintage, a fraction of its total production of one million bottles.
Winemaker José Millan Jr is developing new vineyards in San Juan province at 1,500m, so watch this space.
Written by Decanter