DWWA Global Tastings 2012 - a word from Loki Wine, Birmingham, UKDWWA, 2012, Global Tastings, Loki Wine, Wine, Events, Results DWWA About the DWWA http://www.decanter.com/dwwa/about/530635/dwwa-global-tastings-2012-a-word-from-loki-wine-birmingham-uk http://decanter.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11150/00000382a/fe24_orh100000w160/Decanter-Photo-web.jpg http://decanter.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11150/00000382a/aeec/Decanter-Photo-web.jpg
We caught up with Phil Innes at Loki Wine, to find out what he thinks about this year's Global Tastings event, and why he is so keen to get involved in this series of DWWA tastings. What made you want to get involved with Decanter’s Global Tastings programme this year? Which DWWA 2012 wines did you have on offer for consumers to taste? How did you promote the Global Tastings fortnight, did you host any special events?
Phil: Having been a reader of Decanter for many years, I thought the opportunity to work with the world's best wine Magazine was too good to turn down. Also the Decanter awards are a benchmark for wines and it is important to embrace new ideas.
What do you think Decanter’s Global Tastings programme offers consumers?
P: Although medals and awards are by no means perfect they are still one of the best ways to illustrate good wines to consumers. The tasting gives consumers the chance to try some of these wines.
Can you explain a bit about yourselves, in terms of what you offer and where you’re based around the world?
P: Loki is a modern boutique wine merchant based in Birmingham City Centre (UK). We want to try and make wine more accessible, whilst also offering some of the finest wines from around the world. The owner had several years in the wine trade before setting up, but is still one of the younger Wine Merchants in the country. The shop doubles up as a bar in the evening where it has become a bustling hotspot for professionals.
• Humberto Canale Estate, Pinot Noir, Río Negro, Patagonia 2011 Argentina - Commended
• Saint Clair, Pioneer Block Sauvignon Blanc Snap Block 18, Wairau Valley, Marlborough 2011 New Zealand - Gold
• Amalaya, Cafayate, Salta 2011 Argentina - International Trophy, Argentinian Torrontes under £10
• Cederberg, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cederberg 2009 South Africa - Silver
• Feudi di San Gregorio, Taurasi, Southern Italy 2007 Italy - Bronze
• Bodega Norton, Privada, Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot, Mendoza 2009 Argentina - Bronze
• Dandelion Vineyards, Riesling Wonderland, Eden Valley, South Australia 2011 Australia - Bronze
• Mount Horrocks, Cordon Cut Riesling, Clare Valley, South Australia 2011 Australia - Regional Trophy, Australian Sweet over £10
• Berton Vineyards, The Black Shiraz, South Eastern Australia 2010 Australia - Bronze
• Peller Estates Winery, Vidal Icewine, Niagara Peninsula, Ontario 2010 Canada - Gold
• Gaia Wines, Assyrtiko Wild Ferment, Santorini, Aegean Islands 2011 Greece - Regional Trophy, Greek White over £10
• Grace, Koshu Kayagatake, Yamanashi 2011 Japan - Silver
• Rockburn, Pinot Noir, Central Otago 2010 New Zealand - Bronze
• David Nieuwoudt, Ghost Corner Sauvignon Blanc, Elim 2011 South Africa - Bronze
• David Nieuwoudt, Ghost Corner Semillon, Cape Agulhas 2010 South Africa - Bronze
• Massard Brunet, Humilitat, Priorat 2009 Spain - Bronze
P: We did a lot of twitter promotion, and held a launch event which proved very successful.
How were the tastings received by wine enthusiasts?
P: The reception has been very good!
Have you noticed any particular tasting trends or interest in any specific or unusual wines from the ones on offer?
P: Unusual wines always do very well, the Koshu was a big hit along with the Priorat and Peller Ice Vidal
With Decanter’s Global Tastings, people are able to taste and share lots of different wines through the use of Enomatic machines, what do you think it is about this format that people like so much? What do the machines brings to a tasting like this?
P: People like the different style of tasting, it is fun and engaging, but also allows people to try a broad range of wine without any pressure selling.
Have you seen an uplift of wine sales as a result of the Global Tastings programme?
P: It has been a very good two weeks so far, but the wines sell very well in the machines regardless of the awards.
Would you like to be part of the programme next year?
P: Yes, it was a good experience.
To find out more about Loki Wine visit www.lokiwine.co.uk
We caught up with Phil Innes at Loki Wine, to find out what he thinks about this year's Global Tastings event, and why he is so keen to get involved in this series of DWWA tastings.
What made you want to get involved with Decanter’s Global Tastings programme this year?
Which DWWA 2012 wines did you have on offer for consumers to taste?
How did you promote the Global Tastings fortnight, did you host any special events?