Book review: The Terroir Guides: Food Wine Burgundy

Terroir Guides Food Wine Burgundy

Burgundy is a big place. If, like many wine enthusiasts, you are focused on the Côte d'Or, this guide will remind you that it also encompasses the departements of Yonne, Nièvre, and Saône-et-Loire.

US author David Downie clearly loves the rural nature of the region; he is at his best when going off piste in search of a good cheese maker, the origins of Flavigny aniseed balls, or the best Charolais steak. Alison Harris' photos evoke the spirit of the place, and the maps are clear and useful.

The basic introduction to the region's wines is designed for the novice. There is little that Decanter readers do not know, and the winemaker listings are patchy. Santenay's winemakers are given plenty of space, Savigny's hardly any. A famous name, like Pierre Morey in Meursault, is unheralded among little-known domaines.

But, after all, only 20% of the land is given over to vineyards in Burgundy and if, after strenuous tasting, you want to get to know the other 80%, Downie has got under the skin of the place. Want the best andouillettes (tripe sausages) in Chablis, or the finest butcher in Pommard? What about a cookery course in Dijon, or a day truffle-hunting? The information you need is here unwind happily.

The Terroir Guides: Food Wine Burgundy is published by Little Bookroom

Wine News

Wine News

Daily wine news - the latest breaking wine news from around the world