Filtered by: U

Wine Terminology

Glossary terms


Term used to describe a vessel, which is not entirely full. A tank which is not completely full of wine is said to be 'on ullage', and there is the danger that it will become oxidised through contact with air.

Old bottles of wine, where the level has dropped below the neck, are described as 'ullaged' (and 'badly ullaged' if the level has dropped below the shoulder). Badly ullaged bottles should be treated with caution, as the wine will almost certainly have deteriorated.


German label term proposed as a replacement for Grosslage.

In theory, it should give a better idea of the style of wine to expect.

Wine News

Wine News

Daily wine news - the latest breaking wine news from around the world

Latest Posts