Lovers of South African have until 16 September to register for bidding in the 32nd Cape Winemakers Guild Auction. Decanter's Tina Gellie got a sneak preview and chose her top tips for the sale...
2016 Cape Winemakers Guild Auction
The auction, sponsored by Nedbank, will be held on 1 October at Spier Wine Estate in Stellenbosch.
- Scroll down to see Gellie’s top 12 wines in the sale
Decanter was among an exclusive group invited to taste the 52 wines in the auction line up at an event in London hosted by CWG Chairman Miles Mossop (winemaker of Tokara Wines) and fellow Guild members Rianie Strydom (Strydom Family Wines/Haskell Wines), Boela Gerber (Groot Constantia) and Kevin Arnold (Waterford Estate).
‘These are arguably the best wines in South Africa,’ said Mossop. ‘Certainly the best of the winemakers’ cellars, and they are only available in this auction.’
A maximum of 100 cases of each wine can be sold in the auction, and only once they have been selected for inclusion via blind tasting by the CWG panel.
This year 32 red wines, 15 whites and three sparkling wines, plus a potstill brandy and a Port-style fortified, comprise the 2,429 cases on offer. The majority of the wines are from the highly regarded 2015 vintage.
While Shiraz and Chardonnay remain the most popular of the reds and whites respectively, for the first time a Clairette Blanche from 40-year old vines (Andrea Mullineux) is included, along with Simonsig’s Mediterraneo blend of Roussanne, Grenache Blanc and Verdelho.
Newton Johnson’s inaugural entry, the Seadragon Pinot Noir, is expected to draw considerable interest, as are the new vintages from auction stalwarts Ataraxia, Beyerskloof, Boekenhoutskloof, Etienne Le Riche, Jordan and Kanonkop.
Last year 153 buyers spent just short of 2014’s record of R11,900,000 (about £585,000) at the auction, with the average price per case up 10%. Kanonkop’s CWG Paul Sauer 2012 drew the highest-ever top bid of R12,200 a case (about £600).
Decanter’s top 12 Cape auction picks, if money was no object…
• Ataraxia, Under the Gavel Chardonnay 2015
• Kaapzicht Estate, Auction Selection 1947 Chenin Blanc 2015
• Mullineux, Clairette Blanche 2015
• Simonsig, Mediterraneo 2015
• Waterford Estate, ’88 Kept Aside Chardonnay 2015
• Beyerskloof, Traildust Pinotage 2014
• Boekenhoutskloof, Auction Reserve Syrah 2014
• Etienne Le Riche, Special Select Cabernet Sauvignon 2007
• Jordan, Sophia 2013
• Kanonkop, CWG Paul Sauer 2013
• Newton Johnson Family Vineyards, Seadragon Pinot Noir 2015
• Spier, Auction Selection Frans K Smit 2011