A white wine made by Spanish producer Torres has been given the all-clear after being caught up in a cyanide poisoning scare in Norway.
All vintages of Torres’ San Valentin white wine were removed from the shelves of Norwegian state drinks monopoly Vinmonopolet after a 59-year-old lawyer became seriously ill with suspected potassium cyanide poisoning.
Sweden’s drinks monopoly, Systembolaget, also warned consumers to return any bottles of the vintage in question, 2005, after it appeared that the half-bottle might have been bought in Sweden.
But tests revealed that the potassium cyanide had been sourced locally to the man’s home in Arendal, Norway, and now another man has been arrested and imprisoned on suspicion of poisoning.
According to local reports he allegedly injected the poison into the bottle.
The victim was taken to hospital in a serious condition after the incident on 23 May, but is now said to be recovering well.
San Valentin is one of the most popular white wines in Norway, with annual sales of nearly 200,000 bottles.
Torres said its production process included rigorous security checks and quality control.
‘Bodegas Torres wishes to thank the Norwegian police and authorities for their speed in clarifying the facts, and convey their wishes for the prompt recovery of the victim,’ the company said.
Written by Richard Woodard