Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 55 23 45
Visits: By appointment only
Details: 1er Grand Cru Classé B, Saint-Emilion, 22ha, clay-limestone
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 75%, Cabernet Franc 25%History:
The estate – on choice southwest-facing limestone terraces to the west of the town – was founded by frigate lieutenant Jacques Kanon in 1760. Recognising the potential of the great soil, he set about building an elegant château for himself and surrounding it in vines alone (mixed plantings were more the norm back then). In 1919, the estate – now known as Château Canon, with a ‘C’ – was acquired by the Fournier family, who sold it to Chanel in 1996.