Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 73 15 20
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Saint-Julien, 2ème cru classé, 84ha, gravel
Vineyards: Cabernet Sauvignon 57%, Merlot Noir 30%, Cabernet Franc 8%, Petit Verdot 3%, Malbec 2%
Gruaud-Larose, perhaps not as ancient as others in the appellation, is first mentioned the early 1700s when it was owned by knight Joseph Stanislas Gruaud. But it was the next generation who developed the vineyard, naming it Fond-Bedeau and producing two much admired cuvées – and the generation after that, specifically Joseph-Sébastian de La Rose, brought to the Château its present name. By the early 1820s, suffering family debts, the estate was sold to a consortium and in 1867 was divided into two properties: Gruaud-Larose-Faure and Gruaud-Larose-Sarget (the Sargets built the fine château). The two halves were reunited in 1935 under the tenure of the Cordier Group (they were owners until 1983). Since 1997, following a series of corporate buyings and sellings, the Taillan Group’s Jacques Merlaut has been in charge.