Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 59 32 06
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Saint-Estèphe, 4ème cru classé, 45ha, gravel and clayVineyards: Cabernet Sauvignon 54%, Merlot Noir 40%, Cabernet Franc 4%, Petit Verdot 2%
Lafon-Rochet dates from the 16th century, when it formed part of a vast estate belonging to Janot Bernard de Leyssac. Over the years, more and more land was added, including an area known as Rochet because of its rocky terrain. This latter portion eventually passed by marriage to Etienne de Lafon who with the help of manager Pierre Delage properly established the Lafon-Rochet vineyard. The partnership was successful and the estate passed down through the Lafon generations for almost 300 years, up until 1895 when, derailed by phylloxera and mildew, it was sold to Frédéric Audon. His ownership lasted until 1924, to be followed by a string of different owners who grappled with the effects of economic depression and war. By the time the property was acquired by former Cognac merchant Guy Tesseron in the 1960s it was in some disarray. The subsequent renovation of Lafon-Rochet even included demolishing the old derelict chateau and replacing it with another. Some 25 hectares were also added to the vineyard. Today, Michel Tesseron (one of Guy’s three sons) and his son Basile run the estate.