Telephone: +33 (0)5 56 73 38 38
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Saint Julien, 3ème cru classé, 115ha, gravel-sand & gravel-clay
Vineyards: Red: Cabernet Sauvignon 65%, Merlot Noir 28%, Petit Verdot 7%; White: Sauvignon Blanc 60%, Sémillon 30%, Muscadelle 10%
The Lagrange land once belonged to the Maison Noble de Lagrange Montei, and features in documents dating back to 1631. But like many Médoc chateaux, its heyday as a vineyard wasn’t until the mid 1800s – in Lagrange’s case under the ownership of Count Duchâtel (minister at the French Court) and estate manager M Galos. They doubled the volume of wine produced, and saw its quality soar when they installed novel drainage and put the latest equipment into the chai. It didn’t last: the late 19th/20th centuries were particularly hard on Lagrange – a succession of owners, and land sales to pay debts (there lie the origins of Château Ducru-Beaucaillou). Sold in 1983 to wealthy Japanese group Suntory (by the Cendoya family) Lagrange began a revival – under the effective management of Marcel Ducasse and more recently Bruno Eynard.