Address: Château Soutard 33330 Saint-Emilion France
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 24 72 23
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Grand Cru Classé, Saint-Emilion, 22ha, limestone-clay-sand
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 70%, Cabernet Franc 30%
The Château dates from 1762 when it was built by Jean Combret de Faurie. In 1811, he left it to his nephew Jacques Combret de Milon, who later sold it to Jean Laveau, one of the most prominent winemakers of the time. Laveau died without hiers and the land was eventually split up (the origin of châteaux Faurie de Souchard and Petit Faurie de Soutard), with the remaining parcel eventually passing to the Ligneris family in 1936. Soutard remained under family ownership until 2006, when it was purchassed by French insurance group La Mondiale.