Chateau Cos d'Estournel
- Wine region: Saint-Estephe
Details: Saint-Estèphe, 2ème cru classé, 70ha, gravel on limestone
Vineyards: Cabernet Sauvignon 60%, Merlot Noir 38%, Petit Verdot 2%
The story of Cos begins with Louis Gaspard d'Estournel. In1811, he inherited some land near the village of Cos in Saint-Estèphe from his father and recognising the potential of the deep gravelly terroir there, he established a vineyard which quickly attracted a reputation. The extravagant Louis threw lavish parties, and impressed by his many travels to the Orient, put up exotic pagodas above the chais - until it all ended in debt and the 1852 transfer of the estate to London banker Charles Martyn who, with Jerome Chiapella (owner of La Mission Haut-Brion), consolidated the wine quality and improved working conditions and facilities. In 1869, Martyn sold Cos to the aristocratic Errazu family, and 20 years later they sold to the Hostein brothers, then owners of Château Montrose. In 1917 prominent Bordeaux negociant Fernand Ginestet acquired the property, which after several years went to grandsons Jean-Marie, Yves, and Bruno Prats. In 1998, Cos was sold again, to the Merlaut family, of the Taillan Group, and in 2000 was acquired by industralisist Michel Reybier.
|Write to||33180 Saint-Estephe France|
|Telephone||05 56 73 15 50|
|Fax||05 56 59 72 59|