These bars have all of the spice and warmth of classic pumpkin pie, but they're more easily assembled as bars with a simple press-in crust.
Pumpkin Pie Bars
Contributed by Sarah Jordan
Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Serves: 1 tray
Skill level: Easy
- 1/4 cup (55g) dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (115g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- One 15-ounce (425ml) can pure pumpkin puree
- One 12-ounce (340ml) can evaporated milk
- Baked Press-In Crust
- Crème fraîche, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425° (210° Celsius). In a small bowl, whisk the sugars with the spices and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Whisk in the sugar mixture, then whisk in the pumpkin puree and the evaporated milk until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350° (180° Celsius) and bake for about 25 minutes longer, until the filling is fully set.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely. Cut into bars and serve with crème fraîche.
The pumpkin pie bars can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Wine: Ray Isle gives us his top tips for finding the perfect bottles for Thanksgiving.
A recipe from Food & Wine Magazine