Aslina, Skin Contact Chenin Blanc, Stellenbosch, South Africa 2022
(at Waitrose Cookery School, London, 23 May 2023)
Drinking Window: 2023 - 2025
South Africa's first female black winemaker Ntsiki Biyela is an exciting and talented name on the Stellenbosch scene, and it's great to see her skin contact Chenin Blanc added to Waitrose's South African line-up – worth tracking down either in selected London stores or online at Waitrose Cellar. It's an unoaked wine, with the texture and weight in the mouth coming from the skin contact: 20% of the grapes were crushed and fermented on skins for 24 hours before pressing, the other 80% were left on the skins and fermented for seven days. There's a slight golden tint in the glass, then bright citrussy acidity, ripe orchard fruit and a dry honeyed character when you sip. Accomplished winemaking and really delicious – good complexity for the price.
Skin Contact Chenin Blanc