{"api":{"host":"https:\/\/pinot.decanter.com","authorization":"Bearer ZGNmMTAwN2I5ZjM2ZDUxOTBhNDY2ODhkMjVhOWM5YzUxNjUwMWVjMWEzMjQyYWM1ZWYzNzU1YjhlZGU4MzcwYw","version":"2.0"},"piano":{"sandbox":"false","aid":"6qv8OniKQO","rid":"RJXC8OC","offerId":"OFPHMJWYB8UK","offerTemplateId":"OFPHMJWYB8UK","wcTemplateId":"OTOW5EUWVZ4B"}}

Decanter: new star in the East

Decanter is to launch into the Far East, becoming the first western wine magazine to publish a dedicated Chinese language edition.

The traditional text magazine will be sold in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia, before eventually rolling out to mainland China.

The monthly Taiwanese edition of Decanter will be made up of around 80% of content from the UK edition, translated into traditional Chinese text. The remaining 20% of the editorial content will be generated locally by Decanter’s Asian partner, Choice, which will publish and distribute the magazine.

The first issue is set to hit the market next month priced NT$148 (around £2.60).

‘We are increasingly becoming nations of wine lovers here,’ says Frank Ong, publisher of Decanter in Asia, and director of product development at Choice. ‘But we sorely lack a wine magazine of international stature.

‘It’s possible to buy the English language editions of all the major magazines, and there are various local titles, but they’re not sufficiently in-depth for serious wine lovers.’

In recent years, the market for fine wine in the Far East has expanded rapidly, driven by an increase in disposable income and expenditure on what are perceived as luxury goods.

‘We believe the international approach of Decanter – championing both tradition and innovation in the world of wine – makes for a broad church, and is perfect for an emerging market which is growing in its appreciation of quality wine,’ Decanter’s publishing director Sarah Kemp said.

‘We’re delighted to introduce some of the world’s top wine writers to the Far East, in conjunction with a partner with a proven track record there.’

Choice, which publishes National Geographic’s Taiwan edition, will launch Decanter with an initial print run of 10,000 copies, publicised via tie-ins with wine importers and merchants who will hold special tastings and events, and offer special wine offers to magazine subcribers.

This is the second international edition of Decanter following the Hungarian edition launched at the end of last year.

For more details, see www.decanter-chinese.com or contact Frank Ong at frank.ong@choicecompany.com.tw

Written by Guy Woodward

Latest Wine News