Find out the answers here...
1. There are around how many vineyards in England at the moment?
2. Samuel Pepys enjoyed an English wine, in 1667, from a vineyard situated where?
3. The largest vineyard in England has how many acres?
4. Chapel Down recently partnered with which restaurant chain to make a Malbec?
It was Gaucho, an Argentinian Steak House. The vines will be grown in Mendoza and vinified in England. For the full story on how and why this happened, see Decanter’s coverage here.
5. Which famous English wine producer is based in Cornwall?
6. Complete the name…[Blank]lake Park Wine Estate.
Stanlake Park Wine Estate
7. Balfour Brut Rose is produced by whom?
Hush Heath Estate
8. Denbies wine estate accounts for approximately 10% of all wine produced in the UK. True or false?
True. Denbies accounts for 10% (approximately) of all wine produced in the UK from 18 varieties of grape.
9. Wine growing in England was made popular by the monasteries. True or false?
False. In medieval Britain, the Domesday Book (1085-6) records vineyards in forty-two definite locations. However, only twelve of the Domesday vineyards were attached to monasteries. Most belonged to nobles and were undoubtedly cultivated to provide them with wine for their dining tables and altars.10. In English wine history, the highest volume of planting was experienced in which year?1993. Official figures on vineyard planting and volumes produced have only been in existence since 1989, prior to which submission of data to then The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (MAFF) was entirely voluntary.The high point of planting was reached in 1993 when 1,065 ha (2,631 acres) was reached.
How did you do? Let us know on the facebook page. Have a great week!
Written by Matt Chappell