Beating the heat: how Italy's winemakers are responding to climate change
How producers around the regions are adapting to beat the heat...
In association with Consorzio Tutela Lugana DOC
The Lugana appellation, on the shores of Lake Garda, embraces the famously beautiful towns of Sirmione, Desenzano, Peschiera, Lonato, and Pozzolengo which lies inland. It straddles two provinces: 90% of the vineyards are in the province of Brescia, and the remaining 10% in the province of Verona – including Peschiera with its sub-zone San Benedetto di Lugana.
Lugana conjures holidays, sunbathing by the lake, strolling casually among the winding lanes of its spectacular villages, and indulging in good food and excellent wine at traditional local trattorias. It is interesting to discover how the region’s strategic value was protected back in ancient times by a series of castles: Sirmione, Desenzano, Pozzolengo, the fortress at Peschiera, the Rocca di Lonato. It’s worth climbing the majestic panoramic tower of San Martino della Battaglia to enjoy breathtaking views of the vineyards.
Lugana is capable of fending off the attacks of time, gaining an impressive nobility with maturity. This is a modern wine, pleasantly drinkable and structured. It also shows off its remarkable versatility with food: try it with Mediterranean and even Indian or Asian cuisine.
DOC Since 1967
Location Hinterland of the southern shore of Lake Garda; vineyards mostly in Lombardy, but around 300ha in Veneto
Area in production (2016) 1,873ha – more planted but not yet in production; 130 producers produce about 16m bottles
Grapes Principal variety Turbiana; a wine may contain up to 10% of other non-aromatic varieties such as Chardonnay, Incrocio Manzoni or Pinot Bianco
Styles Lugana Brut, Lugana, Lugana Superiore, Lugana Riserva, Lugana Vendemmia Tardiva