Decanter’s latest Reader Weekend saw wine lovers head to Portugal’s Douro for an unforgettable trip.
The weekend started in great style at The Yeatman, Oporto’s wine-themed five-star hotel.
Private tastings took place in both Taylor’s and Graham’s Port lodges, as well as dinner at the Factory House, courtesy of hosts Adrian Bridge and Paul Symington.
Quinta do Vesuvio, the Symingtons’ private estate, was home for the next two nights.
A tour of Taylor’s private estate, Quinta de Vargellas, was followed by lunch overlooking some of the world’s most beautiful vineyards.
On the last night at Quinta do Vesuvio, Decanter readers joined pickers for a truly memorable experience treading grapes in the lagars to make the 2011 Port vintage.
1. Paul Symington, CEO of Symington Family Estates, taking the group on a vineyard tour
2. One of the many tastings of Taylor’s Ports
3. Adrian Bridge, CEO of Taylor, Fladgate & The Yeatman
4. Treading grapes in the lagar at Quinta do Vesuvio
5. A long, lazy lunch at Quinta de Vargellas hosted by Adrian Bridge
6. A cushion at Quinta de Vargellas offers some wise words
7. The Douro River is undoubtedly the best way to get from one vineyard to another and offered Decanter readers more fabulous views
8. The unforgettable and unique terraced vineyards of Portugal’s Douro valley
Written by Decanter