Inside the magazine this month: 50 star buys of 2015, Vintage Champagne 2000 & 2002 and Sauternes and Barsac panel tasting…
January 2016 contents:
- 50 star buys of 2015 We pick 50 of the highest scoring wines from the past year, all available in the UK – including 14 for under £20.
- Interview: Peter Gago Penfolds’ chief winemaker is also known for his stamina and tireless devotion to the job. Anthony Rose meets him.
- Champagne vintages: 2000 vs 2002 Richard Juhlin tastes these two vintages side by side and names his 26 top performers.
- To Kalon vineyard This 200ha Californian plot is famous for its Cabernet Sauvignon. William Kelley charts its history and meets key owners and growers.
- Producer profile: Vik Michael Apstein visits an estate that blends Norwegian entrepreneurs, Chilean terroir, and Bordeaux know-how.
- Anniversary wines: 2016 Decanter guide Do you have a 21st party or 40th wedding anniversary to celebrate in 2016? Anthony Rose knows the wines to buy.
- Discover Madeira Richard Mayson reveals why this island is the ideal home for such complex fortifieds.
- The perils of a wine lover’s Christmas Charles Jennings and Paul Keers look at the potential pitfalls – from wine pairing to novelty gifts and the recycling.
- Gigondas panel tasting: 83 wines tasted, 2 Outstanding – Consistency, freshness, local character and accessibility – these wines impressed our panel.
- Champagne Brut Nature & Extra Brut panel tasting: 57 wines tasted, 0 Outstanding – This fashionable low- or zero-dosage style takes no prisoners, concluded our tasters.
- Sauternes and Barsac 2011 & 2013 panel tasting: 33 wines tasted, 3 Outstanding – Fantastic value, ageworthy and delicious – these two great vintages won over our team.
- Expert’s Choice: Chile’s Rhône reds As Syrah takes Chile by storm, Peter Richards MW turns his attention to the many exciting wines where other Rhône varieties are dominant.
- 34 festive buys under £28 Our tastings director picks her top wines on the UK shelves, perfect for drinking this Christmas.
- Travel: Alsace Sue Style takes you on a gourmet tour.
Purchase the January issue of Decanter from Waitrose for your chance to win an indulgent stay for two at the breathtaking Hacienda Zorita Wine . Hotel & Spa, Salamanca, Spain *T&Cs apply