Address: Château Clos Fourtet 33330 Saint-Emilion France
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 24 70 90
Visits: By appointment only
Details: 1er Grand Cru Classé B, Saint-Emilion, 19ha, clay-limestone & clay-sand
Vineyards: Merlot 72%, Cabernet Franc 22%, Cabernet Sauvignon 6%
Clos Fortet lies on the western edge of Saint-Emilion, on the site of a fort that was built to protect the town during the turbulent Middle Ages. The château itself was created in the 18th century, by Elie Rulleau, who named it Camfoutet (or Camp Fortet) as a reminder of its military origins (the family later changed
‘Camp’ to the more gentle ‘Clos’). In 1919, the estate was acquired by the Ginestet family but by the 1950s was owned by Lucien Lurton, whose family raised it to the quality level it is today. The current owner is Parisian businessman Philippe Cuvelier.