{"api":{"host":"https:\/\/pinot.decanter.com","authorization":"Bearer MjQyMjkyM2VmNTRhNDc5OGMxMzdjN2IzZGM3NWUwYzhjYTdkNzMyYTlkZTVkNTRjYmMyYmQ4YTE3YTU1Zjc1Mw","version":"2.0"},"piano":{"sandbox":"false","aid":"6qv8OniKQO","rid":"RJXC8OC","offerId":"OFPHMJWYB8UK","offerTemplateId":"OFPHMJWYB8UK","wcTemplateId":"OTOW5EUWVZ4B"}}

DWWA 2014 Regional Trophy: Bordeaux Right Bank over £15

This year's Decanter World Wine Awards Regional Trophy for Bordeaux Right Bank over £15 went to Château Yon-Figeac, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classé 2011 (13.5%)

Tasted against:

  • Château La Marzelle, St-Emilion Grand Cru Classé 2010


Château Yon-Figeac was purchased in 2005 by the appropriately titled Alain Château. With his acquisition he increased the number of properties in his portfolio to four, although the other three are all in the Loire Valley.

Some 50km from Bordeaux, Château Yon-Figeac is nestled on the right bank of the Dordogne River and in the very centre of the St-Emilion appellation. About 25 hectares in size, the vines are planted on soils that are a mix of sand and clay over iron slag. There are two grape varieties being grown here: Merlot, which accounts for 80% of the plantings, with the remainder being Cabernet Franc.

The oenologist in charge of the annual 85,000-bottle production is the renowned consultant Denis Dubourdieu. When the grapes are fully ripe, the vineyard team sweep through the vineyard, selecting every bunch by hand. Each parcel is carefully sorted through before being fermented in temperature controlled, stainless-steel vats, and then the wine is aged for between 14 and 16 months in French oak barrels; 40% of these will be new, while the other 60% will be used barrels. The yield of the final wine is 37hl/ha.

Written by Decanter

Latest Wine News