Decanter’s first ever Reader Weekend brought together wine lovers from across the globe for an unforgettable visit to two great Bordeaux estates.
For our inaugural Decanter Reader trip we put together an exclusive trip for 12 to Château Cheval Blanc and Château d’Yquem.
Decanter’s base was Les Sources de Caudalie, the luxury hotel and spa surrounded by the vines of Château Smith Haut Lafitte, and the trip started with a tour of the château’s cellars, with owner Florence Cathiard as guide.
The next day the party was joined by Decanter’s Bordeaux-based contributing editor James Lawther MW for a private tour of Cheval Blanc, with technical director Pierre Olivier Clouet, followed by lunch.
The weekend’s highlight was dinner at Yquem, hosted by CEO Pierre Lurton, with wines from the château’s cellar.
1. The Decanter team with Pierre Lurton, CEO of Châteaux Cheval Blanc and d’Yquem, and communications manager Valérie Lailheugue (2nd from right)
2. and 3. Guests enjoyed Cheval Blanc 2001 during lunch there
4. Dinner at Yquem with Pierre Lurton, in the château’s candlelit dining room
5. Before dinner, guests toured the Yquem cellars, where Pierre Lurton presented the 2007 vintage
6. Guests tour the Cheval Blanc cellars
7. Château d’Yquem 1996 and 1988 were served at dinner
Guests discuss wines during the tour
9. Pictured here at Cheval Blanc,
with Pierre Olivier Clouet (6th from left), guests came from as far
afield as Florida and Finland
Written by Decanter