Address: Château Belair-Monange 33330 Saint-Emilion France
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 51 78 96
Visits: By appointment only
Details: 1er Grand Cru Classé B, Saint Emilion, 12.5ha, clay-limestone & silt-sand
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 80%, Cabernet Franc 20% History:
Formerly known as plain Belair, the Château’s history extends back to the Hundred Years War when English military man Robert de Knollys resided there. By the 18th century, a vineyard of considerable standing had been established by his successive generations. The family’s ownership lasted until 1916 (with a break during the French Revolution) when Edouard Dubois-Challon, then owner of Ausone, purchased the by-then ailing property. Since 2008, it is has been owned by Edouard Moueix and his father Christian, who amended the Château name in memory of his grandmother Anna-Adèle Monange.