Telephone:+33 (0)5 57 55 43 43
Visits: By appointment only
Details: 1er Grand Cru Classé B, Saint-Emilion, 37ha, clay-limestone & sand-clay
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 60%, Cabernet Franc 30%, Cabernet Sauvignon 20%
There are indications that the first Saint-Emilion vines were planted on Pavie’s sunny, south-facing soils in the 4th century AD, yet its modern origins start with the late 19th century. Back then, it formed part of négociant Ferdinand Bouffard’s impressive estate – a single 50-hectare block he named Pavie and which at the time included today’s Pavie-Decesse. By 1943, the now 37ha Château Pavie was owned by the Vallette family, and in 1998 the estate was sold to Gérard Perse of Vignobles Perse. Château Pavie remains one of largest single-plot vineyards in the appellation.