Decanter Fine Wine Encounter 2019 – Masterclasses
Learn from the experts at Decanter’s world-class tutored tastings. Masterclasses last 90 minutes.
Tickets are sold separately to Grand Tasting tickets and places are strictly limited.
Saturday, 2 November 2019
11am: Grand Siècle by Laurent-Perrier – Recreating the Perfect Year – £185
Speaker: Michel Fauconnet, cellar master and Stéphane Dalyac, CEO
Founded over 200 years ago, Laurent-Perrier is one of the most distinguished family-owned Champagne houses, with a reputation for quality and innovation. Grand Siècle – its prestige cuvée – harnesses the art of assemblage to blend three exceptional and complementary vintages to create a unique expression of Champagne. Don’t miss this outstanding masterclass.
- Laurent-Perrier 2007, 2006, 2004, 1999
- Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle 24 Magnum
- Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle 23 Magnum
- Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle 22 Magnum
- Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle 20 Magnum
- Laurent-Perrier, Grand Siècle 17 Magnum
- Laurent-Perrier, Cuvée Alexandra Rosé 2004
1.30pm: Gaja – 30 Years of Legendary Winemaking – £200
Speaker: Gaia Gaja, Gaja Estates’ co–owner
Join Gaia Gaja, daughter of revolutionary winemaker Angelo Gaja, in this spectacular masterclass. As one of Italy’s most iconic wineries, Gaja’s global reputation for producing Barolo and Barbaresco of the highest quality is second to none. In an extremely rare masterclass, Gaia Gaja has opened her family’s cellar doors for Decanter to take you on an incredible journey through almost four decades of its winemaking.
- Gaja, Costa Russi, Piedmont 2016
- Gaja, Costa Russi, Piedmont 1990
- Gaja, Sori Tildin, Piedmont 2016
- Gaja, Sori Tildin, Piedmont 1990
- Gaja, Sorì San Lorenzo, Piedmont 2016
- Gaja, Sorì San Lorenzo, Piedmont 1988
- Gaja, Barbaresco, Piedmont 2016
- Gaja, Barbaresco, Piedmont 1982
- Gaja, Ca’Marcanda, Bolgheri, Tuscany 2001
- Gaja, Darmagi, Langhe, Piedmont 2001
4pm: The Evolution of Marqués de Murrieta – £125
Speaker: Vicente Cebrián-Sagarriga, Count of Creixell, president and owner
Marqués de Murrieta produces some of the best and most historic wines in all of Spain. Founded in 1852 it is one of the oldest and most prestigious bodegas in Rioja, renowned for its traditional winemaking methods and long ageing processes. The jewel in its crown which epitomises this is the very rare and utterly exquisite Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial. However, Murrieta’s owner, Vicente Cebrián-Sagarriga, Count of Creixell, is equally passionate about embracing modern winemaking innovations, especially with his illustrious Dalmau Reserva. This special masterclass, led by the Count himself, will showcase both wines with vintages going back to 1980.
- Marqués de Murrieta, Dalmau Reserva 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012
- Marqués de Murrieta, Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial 2010, 2009, 2007, 2005
- Marqués de Murrieta, Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial Blanco 1986
- Marqués de Murrieta, Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial 1980
Sunday, 3 November 2019
11am: Château Lafleur – £200
Speaker: Omri Ram, winemaker
PLEASE NOTE: This class has a very limited availability and will only be able to accommodate 40 guests.
Decanter is privileged to be hosting this extraordinary masterclass, showcasing one of the greatest wines in the world. The opportunity to taste two vintages of Les Pensées de Lafleur and six vintages of Château Lafleur itself is unprecedented for a Decanter masterclass. These exceptional wines come from a tiny 4.5 hectare estate in the heart of Pomerol, where the terroir is rightly revered. Join Omri Ram for an unforgettable experience as he leads you through eight of the estate’s wines.
- Château Lafleur, Pomerol 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, 2002, 2001
- Château Lafleur, Les Pensées de Lafleur, Pomerol 2013, 2010
1.30pm: Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon – £105
Speaker: Jane Anson, Decanter columnist and Decanter World Wine Awards judge
Ten of Napa’s most renowned red wine producers will be opening bottles that span 20 years of harvests, to show the history and the different personalities of Cabernet Sauvignon, which remains the valley’s signature grape variety. This exciting masterclass will explore the impact of vintage, region, grower and site on Napa’s most iconic red variety.
- Ulysses 2015
- Diamond Creek, Red Rock Terrace 2014
- Morlet Wines, Passionnement 2012
- Spottswoode 2011
- Gallica 2010
- Long Meadow Ranch 2004
- Silverado, Solo 2002
- Trefethen Vineyards, 1999 Magnum
- Cain Five 1997
- Dominus 1991