{"api":{"host":"https:\/\/pinot.decanter.com","authorization":"Bearer NWYxNGI1ZWYwZTMwNWFkNmIwMGI0ZDcxYjczNTc3M2RhOTQ0OTNjOWFiZjBkOGUyZjNiNjRlMDMwYzI2ZDlmZA","version":"2.0"},"piano":{"sandbox":"false","aid":"6qv8OniKQO","rid":"RJXC8OC","offerId":"OFPHMJWYB8UK","offerTemplateId":"OFPHMJWYB8UK","wcTemplateId":"OTOW5EUWVZ4B"}}

What we’ve been drinking (26 March)

At Decanter we all love our wine, and every week members of the Decanter team - from editorial assistant to publishing director - tell us what they've been enjoying at home and when they go out... What we've been drinking index

Adam Lechmere

Editor, decanter.com

   Alpha Estate, Amyndeo, Macedonia, Greece 2007

This is a Decanter World Wine Awards Gold winner, which I opened the other night to go with the first pasta primavera (sort of) of 2010. The way I do it, with masses of black pepper and strong parmesan, made a nice match with this big, peppery, tannic wine (60% Syrah, Xinomavro and Merlot the other 40%), packed with delicious blackcurrant, mocha, very dark cherry fruits and hottish spice. Strong, gripping tannins throughout, which mellowed when the bottle had been open a few hours. I should have decanted it really. Lovely wine.

Sarah Kemp

Publishing Director, Decanter

   Filippi Vigne della Brà, Colli Scaligeri, 2006

Dining at Venice’s, if not Italy’s, finest restaurant, Alle Testiere, Filippi Vigne della Brà 2006, Colli Scaligeri a glorious gold colour, full round almost Burgundian style, (20 months on lees), wonderful purity of fruit with mineral undertones. Long and hugely enticing a perfect mix for the ravioli filled with ricotta stuffed with lemon, orange and parmesan topped with a light tomato sauce. Heaven!

Tina Gellie

Chief sub editor

   Raoul Collet, Carte Noir Brut, Champagne NV

This is the ‘bar’ Champagne at my rowing club, Auriol Kensington just up from Hammersmith Bridge. AK has the enviable position of being the halfway mark of the three main Heads – the 6.8km races for crews of eight between Mortlake and Putney – that charge down the Thames at this time of year. The Women’s Head was a fortnight ago, the Men’s Head is this weekend, and the biggie (despite it only being between two boats, not 400 like the others), The Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race, is on Easter Saturday. And yes, the passionate will know it races ‘the other way’, between Putney and Mortlake. Anyway, as a retired rower, I can now indulge in wine more than I used to, so got into further practice for this weekend’s Head by popping open one of these mid week. At under £20 it’s great value as a party fizz and a fine aperitif, too. Lovely mousse, firm, refreshing acidity and the classic hallmarks of tart green apple fruit a touch of creamy lees and a squeeze of lemon. The 50% Pinot Meunier gives it impressive palate weight and a roundness that lingers on the finish. There will be a few corks popping along the tideway tomorrow.

John Abbott

Deputy Editor, decanter.com

   Roederer Estate Quartet Brut NV, Anderson Valley, California, USA

This is one of my favourite sparkling wines, not least for its depth, concentration and, above all, consistency. Though it will probably always be compared to NV Champagne because of its parentage, this is really chunky style of wine that stands out from its competitors again and again. At a time when Champagne sales are falling, and consumers are looking for value for money, this toasty example comes with the firmest of recommendations. The chance to indulge at home this week was gratefully snatched.

Written by

Latest Wine News