Address: Château La Lagune 83, avenue Europe 33290 Ludon Médoc France
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 88 82 77
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Ludon-Medoc, 3ème cru classé, 80ha, pebble/gravel
Vineyards: Cabernet Sauvignon 60%, Merlot Noir 30%, Petit Verdot 10%
La Lagune is the southernmost of the Haut-Médoc crus classés châteaux, and arguably the star among them. It emerged in the 16th century from land reclaimed by Dutch knowhow. In the 1730s it became thoroughly established, with the addition of a splendid mansion designed by Baron Louis, architect of Bordeaux’s Grand Théâtre. By then, too, the vineyard was nicely functioning. The estate stayed in the Seguineau family until 1819, when it was sold to Jouffrey Piston. He saw it through to the 1855 ranking, but it was the De Sèze family who faced phylloxera and the outbreak of WWI. The estate’s resurrection
began in 1958 with its sale to Georges Brunet who instigated a whirlwind renovation – continued since 1961 under the ownership of Champagne house Ayala.