Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 88 71 00
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Margaux, 3ème Cru Classé, 35ha, clay on sand/gravel
Vineyards: Cabernet Sauvignon 40%, Merlot Noir 30%, Cabernet Franc 20%, Petit Verdot 10%
Château Kirwan has long ties with Britain. Although it originally belonged to Bordeaux nobleman Robert de la Salle (it was then known as La Terre Noble de la Salle) by 1710 the estate was in the hands of English wine merchant Sir John Collingwood. Collingwood re-named the estate after his Irish son-in-law Mark Kirwan, and the two did much to raise its profile during their ownership. Later the property fell into disrepair and in 1904 was sold at auction to négociants Schroeder & Schyler for around £25,000. The Schyler family has invested heavily since, though the château itself remains much as it was in Napoleonic times.