The Yeatman, Porto - Portugal
Address: Rua do Choupelo, 4400-088 Vila Nova de Gaia, Porto
The selected award winning wines available are:
- Dow's Vintage, Portugal, Port, 1985, Red, Fortified - Gold
- Fonseca Vintage, Portugal, Port, 1985, Red, Fortified - Gold
- Taylor's Vintage, Portugal, Port, 1985, Red, Fortified - Gold
- Castello d'Alba, Grande Reserva Vinhas Velhas, Portugal, Northern, Douro, 2011, Red, Still Dry - Red Douro under £15 Regional Trophy
- Adega Mayor 9, Portugal, Southern Alentejano, 2008, Red, Still Dry - Silver
- Quinta da Fronteira Reserva, Portugal, Northern, Douro, 2010, Red Still Dry - Silver
- Comenda Grande Reserva, Portugal, Southern, Alentejano, 2008, Red, Still Dry - Silver
- Herdade do Rocim, Grande Rocim Reserva, Portugal, Southern, Alentejo, 2009, Red, Still Dry - Silver
- Casa Ermelinda Freitas, Superior, Portugal, Southern, Moscatel de Setúbal, 2003, White Fortified - Gold
- Campolargo, Campolargo Arinto 2011, Portugal, Northern, Bairrada, 2010, White, Still Dry - Silver
- Ramos Pinto, Quinta do Bom Retiro, 20 Year Old Tawny, Portugal, Port, NV, Red, Fortified - Silver
- Herdade do Esporão, Verdelho, Portugal, Southern, Alentejo, 2012, White, Still Dry - Silver
- São Domingos, Vinho Branco, Portugal, Northern, Bairrada, 2012, White, Still Dry - Silver
- Blandy's, Sercial, Portugal, Madeira, 1966, Red, Fortified - Silver
- Graham's, 40 Year Old Tawny, Portugal, Port, NV, Red, Fortified - Silver
- Taylor's, 40 Year Old Tawny, Portugal, Port, NV, Red, Fortified - Silver
To celebrate this year's Global Tastings, we caught up with Richard Bowden of The Yeatman to find out a little bit more aboutthis exclusive wine bar.
Tell us a little bit about your wine venue and the customers it attracts – where are you based? Do you specialise in a particular type of wine?
Richard: The Yeatman is a luxury wine hotel and spa in Porto, Portugal, situated high on the south bank of the River Douro. With more than 1,200 different wines in our cellars, 86% of which are from Portugal, The Yeatman boasts the largest collection of Portuguese wines anywhere in the world. The hotel has established partnerships with many of Portugal's finest producers who actively participate in The Yeatman's programme of tastings, seminars and wine dinners. These partner wineries also sponsor individual rooms and suites. Intriguing pictures and objects provide insights into each winery's unique history and environment and add a discreet individual accent to each guest room.
Why did you want to be a part of the Global Tastings this year, and what do you hope to achieve by running this two-week tasting in your venue?
R: The Decanter Global Tastings represent the perfect opportunity to highlight some of the best Portuguese wines available at The Yeatman to our guests. We already feature 82 wines by the glass at our bar and the Global tastings help to give a new dimension to this programme.
Will you be running any promotions or special events as part of the Decanter Global Tastings for your customers this October?
R: In addition to having 16 Decanter award winning wines on offer by the glass, we will be creating a range of themed tastings with these wines which will be accompanied by our or the Wine Director, Beatriz Machado or our Sommelier. For example, “A Lifetime in a Barrel” will feature two 40 year old Ports from Taylor’s and Graham’s and a 1966 Blandy’s Sercial Madeira, enabling customers to compare and contrast old barrel aged fortified wines - an amazing tasting experience.
Can you describe the wine scene in your city? Have you seen it change in recent years, or would you say it’s changing?
R: Porto has a rich history in wine, with the Douro river which runs through its centre bringing Port and wine from the Douro valley for hundreds of years. For this reason, Porto today is known as one of the great wine capitals of the world. Every year Porto welcomes visitors from all over the world to experience this wine heritage at the many Port wine cellars. At The Yeatman, one of our aims is to be ambassadors for Portuguese wine which we achieve by hosting a variety of events, such as weekly wine dinners, and tasting events with our 73 wine partners. Our biggest event is the Christmas Wine Experience (30 November – 1 December), which will offer visitors the opportunity to taste and buy more than 100 of Portugal’s best wines.
Finally, do you have any DWWA-winning wine recommendations you would like to share with your customers, and if so, why you have chosen these wines?
R: I have chosen wines that I was pleasantly surprised by whilst tasting blind in London. Also I wanted this tasting to have an educational component, giving our guests the opportunity to try some newcomers, good values, classic blends of Portuguese varietals , styles and regions as well as to provide a sneak peak at some Port houses styles.
Come by and taste for yourself! The Yeatman Wine Team will be glad to guide you through an unique selection, introduce you to some of our favourites, or if you prefer, challenge you to try something different. We want you to feel confident with your selection, have a memorable sensory experience, and above all, discover the beauty of Portuguese wines!