Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 88 70 66
Visits: Everyday, preferably by appointment.
Details: Margaux, 2ème cru classé, 84ha, clay-limestone, clay-gravel & gravel
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 50%, Cabernet Sauvignon 45%, Petit Verdot 5%.
Named for first owner Chevalier de Lascombes, although it was 18th century
descendant Jean-François de Lascombes who properly established the vineyard. In 1867 a fine château was added by subsequent owner Chaix d’Est Ange, a general in Napoleon III’s army. Then, here too, the plague of turbulence that was the late 19th/early 20th century struck and with it came the stagnation and string of owners so typical of the Médoc during this period. In 1952, Lascombes was purchased by the renowned Alexis Lichine who set about restoring the estate’s fortunes with his renovation programmes. Since 1971, Lascombes has been under corporate ownership – first by UK brewers Bass-Charrington, then in 2001 American investment firm Colony Capital.