Château Troplong Mondot
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 55 32 05
Visits: By appointment only
Details: 1er Grand Cru Classé B, Saint-Emilion, 33ha, clay-limestone/flint
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 90%, Cabernet Franc 5%, Cabernet Sauvignon 5%.
The vineyard, on the crest of Saint-Emilion’s hill of Mondot, dates back to the mid-17th century, when it belonged to wealthy landowner Abbé Raymond de Sèze. He built a château there in 1745. Statesman Raymond Troplong acquired the estate a century later and went on to create one of the largest vineyards in the appellation, little changed to this day. The property passed to Parisian vintner Alexandre Valette in 1936 (one-time owner of neighbouring Château Pavie) and is today owned by Valette’s great-granddaughter Christine and her husband Xavier Pariente.