Couvent des Jacobins
Telephone: +33 (0)5 57 24 70 66
Visits: By appointment only
Details: Grand Cru Classé, Saint-Emilion, 10.7ha, sand-clay-limestone & iron traces
Vineyards: Merlot Noir 75%, Cabernet Franc 25%
Created in the 13th century, the vineyards of Couvent des Jacobins were originally tended by friars. Since it was the Duke of Lancaster who donated the land to the Frères Prêcheurs Jacobins, the property had strong ties with England and the wine was very popular across the Channel. It wasn’t until the 1900s that the friars left Couvent des Jacobins, whereupon it was taken over by nobles. The Joinaud-Borde family have owned the estate since 1902.