Over the past few months Decanter’s editorial team have been busy tasting bubbles currently on offer in high street retailers, independents and supermarkets across the UK.
The selection of wines below highlights some offbeat sparkling wines tasted recently. They offer delicious and good value alternatives to some of the more well known sparkling styles.
Scroll down for tasting notes and scores for 15 offbeat sparkling wines to try
The world of sparkling wine goes well beyond Champagne, Cava and Prosecco. It is clear that the UK boasts an exciting range of alternative bubbles, if you know where to look.
Colours vary too, with the list showcasing not only whites and rosés but also a few reds such as Lambrusco and a Welsh red pét nat.
You may have heard of Crémant de Loire or Crémant de Bordeaux, but did you know that in 2015 Crémant de Savoie became an official appellation? The one featured below is made up of Jacquère and Altesse, and shows bruised apple, lemon and biscuit characters.
For a fizz with myriad food pairing possibilities, try the Philippe Balivet, Récolte Cécile Méthode Ancestrale – it’s a delicious sparkling rosé with a hint of sweetness, from the Bugey-Cerdon area in Savoie. Try it with a spicy pad Thai or hot Mexican flavours, or go down the sweet route with a dark chocolate and forest berry dessert.
Looking for a great wine to serve friends at a summer barbeque, or to make an adventurous pairing for slow-cooked venison? Try the Château de Minière, Bulles de Minière – it’s a dry sparkling red Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley and it’s full of grapey, blackcurrant and cherry notes with a gamey, earthy undertone.
Breakdown of the wines by sparkling style:
- Barta, Furmint Pezsgo, Tokaj, Hungary 2017
- Domaine de l’Idylle, Pétille Idylle Brut, Crémant de Savoie, France
- Domaine Collin, Cuvée Préstige Rosé, Crémant de Limoux, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
- RainSong Vineyard, Sparkling Rosé of Pinot Meunier, Lower Long Tom, Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA 2018
- La Grange Tiphaine, Nouveau Nez, Montlouis-sur-Loire, France 2020
- Philippe Balivet, Récolte Cécile Méthode Ancestrale, Bugey-Cerdon, Savoie, France 2020
- Domaine de la Taille aux Loups, Triple Zero, Montlouis-sur-Loire, France 2020
- Château de Minière, Bulles de Minière, Bourgeuil, Loire, France
- Ormiale, James, Vin de France, Bordeaux 2018
- Ancre Hill Estates, Triomphe Pet Nat, Wales, United Kingdom 2021