At the recent Decanter Italy Fine Wine Encounter, a select few were treated to the Decanter Masterclass "Rare vintages from Italy’s leading producers" hosted by John Stimpfig.
John was joined on stage by stand out names from the Italian wine scene. Each producer showcased wines that represented a different style, grape and region, but most importantly had bottle age.
The speakers, in presenting order, were:
- Diva Moretti Polegato, of Villa Sandi
- Villa Sandi, Vigna La Rivetta, Cartizze, Prosecco 2015
- Alessio Planeta, president of Planeta
- Planeta, Cerasuolo di Vittoria 2007 and Planeta, Santa Cecilia 2005
- Lamberto Frescobaldi, president of Frescobaldi
- Frescobaldi, Giramonte 2002 and Frescobaldi, Castelgiocondo, Brunello di Montalcino 2006
- Antonio Capaldo, chairman of Feudi di San Gregorio
- Feudi di San Gregorio, Serpico 1999 and Feudi di San Gregorio, Piano di Montevergine 2004
- Roberto Bruno, CEO of Fontanafredda
- Fontanafredda, Barolo Riserva 1999 and Fontanafredda, Vigna La Rosa, Barolo 2001
- Marco Caprai, president of Arnaldo Caprai
- Arnaldo Caprai, 25 Anni, Sagrantino di Montefalco 2001 and Arnaldo Caprai, Montefalco Rosso Riserva 1998
- Marilisa Allegrini, president of Allegrini
- Allegrini, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico 2001 and Allegrini, La Poja 2004
These wineries have joined together to form Italian Signature Wines Academy to help promote their wines around the world, but are equally keen to encourage wine lovers visit, stay, eat and taste at their respective properties.
The wines tasted were certainly a rarity, with many surprises and real treats. The tasting unanimously proved the age worthiness not just of Barolo and Brunello, but of less famed regions of Italy. Below are some of John Stimpfig’s top picks along with tasting notes.
Prosecco, Cartizze, Vigna La Rivetta, Villa Sandi 2015 Veneto, Italy The Cartizze microzone in the heart of the famous Valdobbiadane…
Cerasuolo di Vittoria, Planeta 2007 Sicily, Italy The name of Sicily’s only DOCG comes from the word ‘cerasa’ in the…
Giramonte, Frescobaldi 2002 Tuscany, Italy For many producers, 2002 was a difficult vintage in Tuscany especially for the late-ripening Sangiovese.…
Serpico, Feudi di San Gregorio 1999 Campania, Italy An utterly unique wine from four hectares of ungrafted pre-phylloxera vines which…
Barolo, Vigna La Rosa, Fontanafredda 2001 Piedmont, Italy This single vineyard Barolo, not only hails from the great 2001 vintage…
Montefalco Rosso Riserva, Arnaldo Caprai 1998, Umbria, Italy A blend of Sangiovese (70%) with equal parts of Merlot and Sagrantino,…
Amarone della Valpolicella Classico, Allegrini 2001 An utterly brilliant and benchmark Amarone from one of the Veneto’s greatest and most…