A series of informal tutored tastings featuring six great wines per session, lasting 45 minutes.
Tickets are sold separately to Grand Tasting tickets and places are strictly limited.
Saturday 3 November 2018
Napa Valley Vintners
Speaker: Steven Spurrier, Decanter columnist and wine critic
Napa Valley’s reputation belies its size, as this wine producing region in California is just 30 miles long and 5 miles across at its widest point and accounts for only 4% of California’s total wine production. Despite its small size, the region is diverse, boasting half the world’s recognised soil orders, 33 distinct soil series and a range of climate zones – which explains why a Cabernet Sauvignon from Howell Mountain on the hillside in the north of the Valley tastes so different to a Cabernet Sauvignon produced further south on the valley floor. In this session Steven Spurrier will present 6 top Napa Valley producers to illustrate the quality and range of this region’s signature grape variety.
- Louis M. Martini, Cabernet Sauvignon, Lot No. 1, Napa Valley 2014
- Trefethen Family Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, 50th Anniversary, Oak Knoll District 2015
- Morlet Family Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, Coeur De Vallée, Napa Valley 2014
- Inglenook, Red Blend, Rubicon, Rutherford 2014
- Long Meadow Ranch Winery, Cabernet Sauvignon, E J Church, Napa Valley 2014
- Cakebread Cellars, Cabernet Sauvignon, Dancing Bear Ranch, Howell Mountain 2012
Kanaan & Helan Qingxue – China
Speaker: Fang Wang, owner of Kanaan Winery | Zhang Jing, co-founder & winemaker of Helan Qingxue Vineyard
Join us for a fascinating tutored tasting to learn about these two highly-acclaimed Chinese wineries. You will discover the unique terroir of the Ningxia Helan Mountain and its influence on Helen Qingxue Vineyard wines, plus will hear about the history and story behind Kannan Winery. This will be a comparative tasting of three top wines from each estate.
- Kanaan Winery, Riesling, Ningxia 2017
- Kanaan Winery, Pretty Pony, Ningxia 2013
- Kanaan Winery, Black Beauty, Ningxia 2012
- Helen Qingxue Vineyard, Jia Bei Lan Chardonnay, Ningxia 2015
- Helen Qingxue Vineyard, Jia Bei Lan Pinot Noir, Ningxia 2015
- Helen Qingxue Vineyard, Jia Bei Lan Reserve, Ningxia 2014
Speaker: Marcos Eguren – winemaker & owner of Viñedos Y Bodegas Sierra Cantabria
Since 1870, over five generations, the Eguren family has dedicated itself to the cultivation of vineyards and to the aging of the best Spanish wines. The multi-million pound sale of its winery Numanthia to the LVMH group in 2018 put the wine region Toro on the map as a serious producer of fine wines. Sierra Cantrabria is one of the lesser known cult wineries of Spain producing wines such as Teso la Monja that arguably compete with wines such as Vega Sicilia’s Unico and Peter Sisseck’s Pingus. Join Marcos Eguren to learn about the family’s impressive history and to taste six outstanding single vineyard wines from their portfolio.
In a Decanter exclusive Marcos will also be bringing his newly-released multiple-vintage Sierra Cantabria CVC. This sublime wine, which retails at almost £600 per bottle, will be revealed to the UK public for the first time in our Discovery Theatre session. This is an unmissable treat.
- Sierra Cantabria, Reserva Única, Rioja 2014
- Sierra Cantabria, Colección Privada, Rioja 2015
- El Puntido, Rioja 2014
- Señorío de San Vicente, Rioja 2014
- Finca El Bosque, Rioja 2015
- Amancio, Rioja 2014
- Sierra Cantabria CVC, Rioja
Judean Hills – Wine from Israel
Speakers: Eli Ben-Zaken, Golan Flam, Eran Pick MW, Doron Rav-Hon (winemakers of the Judean Hills Quartet).
The Judean Hills Quartet is a group of artisanal wineries, which provide a window into the rebirth of a beautiful wine region with a deep history. The four wineries have contrasting personalities and different wine styles, but they share the unique terroir of the area. This Discovery Theatre session will give you a fascinating insight into the region and a chance to taste eight superb wines.
- Tzora Vineyards, Shoresh Blanc, Judean Hills 2017
- Sphera, White Signature, Judean Hills 2017
- Sphera, Riesling, Judean Hills 2017
- C Blanc du Castel, Judean Hills 2017
- Flam, Classico, Judean Hills 2016
- Flam, Merlot, Judean Hills 2016
- Tzora Vineyards, Misty Hills, Judean Hills 2016
- Domaine du Castel, Grand Vin, Judean Hills 2016
Sunday 4 November 2018
Speaker: Mariano Di Paola, head winemaker
For the last 130 years Rutini Wines has been a pioneer in the Argentinean wine industry, exporting wines internationally for 40 years and has been a constant front runner in the recent boom of Argentinean wines around the globe. Heading this movement for nearly a quarter of a century has been Mariano Di Paola, recognized by Decanter as one of the top 30 winemakers around the world. Mariano has been the innovator and the brains behind Rutini’s wine style which has contributed to their market position and Rutini as a global brand. Don’t miss this excellent chance to meet him in person and taste six excellent Argentinian wines.
- Apartado Gran Chardonnay 2016
- Encuentro Barrel Blend 2013
- Rutini Single Vineyard Gualtallary Malbec 2014
- Rutini Single Vineyard Gualtallary Cabernet Franc 2014
- Rutini Antologia 44 2014
- Rutini Apartado Gran Malbec 2014
Innovative and Sustainable Winemaking in the Riverland, Australia
Speaker: Sarah Ahmed, wine writer and educator
The Riverland in South Australia is the largest wine producing region in Australia and is at the forefront of sustainable farming. In this Discovery Theatre session, Sarah Ahmed, Honorary Australian Woman of Wine, will showcase five exemplary wines for you to taste. Each one provides a snapshot of how this region is succesfully shaping the future as it embraces organic, biodynamic and sustainable winemaking and the farming of alternative grape varieties suited to its warm, dry climate.
- Delinquente Wine Company, Screaming Betty Vermentino, Riverland 2018
- Byrne Vineyards, Antiquarian, Rare Field White, South Australia 2016
- Ricca Terra,Bullets Before Cannonballs, South Australia 2017
- 919 Reserve, Touriga Nacional, South Australia 2016
- Mallee Estate, Tempranillo, Riverland 2013
Please note: Organisers reserve the right to change wines and vintages if deemed necessary